Sunday 27 April 2014

Vegan maple cashew butter



The last week or so I've been workin my way towards being vegan rather than veggie, it's a big change for me as my favorite foods are cheese, chocolate and cakes. Having found a vegan friendly option for all these things I have to say the journey to vegan is well underway, today I bought soy milk and on Friday I bought vegan cheese.




That leads us on to this wonderful maple cashew butter, a simple and delicious alternative to peanut butter, this nut butter is a little rough around the edges but very tasty. You only need 2 ingridients to make it which is a massive bonus and as I am staying away from animal products I already had both of them in my cupboard. The fact that boh of the ingridients are natural means that this is vegan, gluten free and has no added fat or refined sugar. 

You need 
2 cups Raw Cashews
1tbsp maple syrup

You will also need
Food processor
Baking tray
Baking parchment
mason jar 

To start put the maple syrup and cashews in a large bowl and mix to coat, then spread the nuts evenly on the parchment covered baking sheet. Pop it in the oven as gas mark 3 for about 15 minutes turning the nuts every now and again. Once they are brown and caramalised remove from the oven and let them stand for about 5 minutes. Then pour them into the food processor pop the lid on and let it rip.
You'll need to let it run for about 15-20 minutes and you will need to scrap down the side every now and then. The butter is ready when it goes loose and creamy, now all you need to do is jar it up and place it in the fridge to cool. 

This is a really simple recipe and gives you a jar of something you can't buy in any store, yes stores like holland and barret sell nut butters but no where I can find in the uk sells maple cashew butter. Make some and dig in you won't regret it.

Enjoy!