Sunday 9 March 2014

Bean and Quinoa Soup




Recently I have been increasingly fed up with my daily sandwich for lunch at work, myself and my fiancée Emily decided this week would we have soup instead, giving me the perfect excuse to try out some new soup recipes.


So here's the recipes for one of the ones I knocked up this afternoon. 

It's a delicious tomato and vegetable based soup with white and red kidney beans and quinoa and if I do say so myself it's blooming lovely. 
I can tell from the small amount I ate today that it's going to be a filling one. 

The addition of quinoa to the soup means it's packed with protein meaning that even though there's no meat your not missing out on a vital part of your diet. 

Also quinoa isn't that difficult to get hold of these days, you can pick it up in health food shops and most big super markets stock it in the same isle as lentils and cous cous, so give it ago if not replace the quinoa with the same amount of rice. 

Anyway enough of my rambling here's how to make it 

Ingredients


1 white onion
1 large carrot
2 cloves garlic
1/2 can of white kidney beans, drained
1/2 can of red kidney beans, drained 
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp of tomato purée
1 tbsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of chilli powder
500ml of vegetable stock
100g of quinoa
1/2 lime, juiced


1. Chop the onion, carrot and garlic and fry lightly in a little oil until starting to colour.
2. Add the spices and fry for a minute then add the tomato purée and fry for a further minute.
3. Add the beans, chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock, bring to the boil.
4. Add the quinoa and turn down to a simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked add a squeeze of lime to finish. 

So there it is, bean and quinoa soup. A great hearty soup to help you though the day, we are planning on having this with some flat breads and hopefully we won't get tired of it to quickly.

You could even serve a small bowl as a starter at a dinner party. 

Let me know what you think of the recipe if you try it.

Enjoy!